Monday, June 16, 2014

BLACKENED HAKE FISH





Ingredients:

2 Hake fish fillets, you can also use any other white fish (tilapia, cod, etc)
1/2 TBSP blackening seasoning *See my note below on how I make my own
1/2 TBSP coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

*Blackening Seasoning Mix:
This is a great seasoning that I will toss into a lot of my meat and fish recipes so I just make a big batch and keep it handy. 

2 tsp cumin
2 TBSP paprika
2 TBSP black pepper
2 TBSP onion powder
2 TBSP garlic powder
2 1/2 TBSP dried thyme
2 tsp cayenne
1 TBSP dried oregano
1 tsp ground nutmeg
salt to taste

Mix these all up and store in a spice jar for frequent use!


Process:
Clean and dry your fish and cover both sides of the flllet with the blackening seasoning. 
Preheat a skillet over medium high heat, add in the coconut oil and garlic. 
Cook for a minute or two until the garlic begin to sizzle.
Add the fish to the pan, I use a basting brush to help make sure all of the garlic is either under or on top of the fish -- don't want to miss out on that flavor!
Cook for 3-4 mins per side, Turn off the heat and let rest in the pan for 5 mins.

This was my second attempt at the Hake fish and I was much happier with the result. The first time I baked it in the oven but I really didn't like the texture of it. I decided to try cooking it on the stove top before I decided Hake wasn't for me and this was a much better means of cooking the fish. Hake is light and flaky so in oven I felt that it almost got soggy but with the recipe the texture of the fish was MUCH better, more of what a white fish should be :)

1.5oz of fish = 1 Protein Block

No comments:

Post a Comment