Monday, March 3, 2014

SAUTÉED GREENS WITH GARLIC, SESAME SEEDS AND TURMERIC



I used kale and spinach for this batch.


Ingredients:

2 large bags of pre-washed greens (kale, spinach, collard green, etc.-- get creative)
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 Tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp sesame seeds

Process:

Warm coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat
Add in chopped garlic and cook for about a minute
Add in first batch of greens to fill the pan and toss gently with tongs to distribute coconut oil and garlic.
Continue mixing the greens as they cook down and add in more greens as you have room in the pan.
Prior to adding the final batch of greens, add the turmeric, sesame seeds and pepper and mix into the greens. 
Add the last bit of greens and continue cooking until full batch is cooked through

*Note: Make sure you add the tougher greens (kale, collard greens) to the pan before the softer greens (spinach) since the tougher greens take longer to cook.


This has been one of my favorite recipes lately. I'm a huge fan of the kale's natural flavor, the sesame seeds give it just a little bit of crunch and turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory. I will add this as a 1 carb block with the 2 blocks of rice for my lunch -- it adds great flavor and by pairing it with a more dense carb like rice, I don't feel like I have to eat an entire garden to get my carb blocks for the meal.

1 1/3 cup greens = 1 block of carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment